Life Skills Groups
LIFE SKILLS GROUP
Life skills groups are geared for adults with disabilities for no more than 5 people. The groups run for 10 weeks are individualized based on the strengths and needs of the group members. Each participant will be guided in choosing a broad goal to accomplish in the 10 weeks, and a job coach specialist and lead music therapist will break down the goal into smaller objectives. Classes last for 1 hour and are $180.
Therapuetic music interventions include:
- Movement through music: using dance and yoga to improve physical and social skills.
- Functional instrument play: Working together or independently playing an instrument to improve social and physical skills.
- Singing: Using call-and-response, musical social stories, performing, and group singing to improve cognitive, emotional, and social skills.
- Sensory exploration: Using a variety of instruments and tools that improve motor, cognitive, and activities of daily living skills
Goal areas may include:
- Cognitive - increasing the ability to identify objects, concepts, and build on individual strengths
- Emotional - improving emotional awareness, and identifying and implementing coping strategies.
- Social - increasing the ability to follow rules, interact in community events, and share experiences with others.
- Activities of daily living - improving foundational skills that promote independence in a community setting.
- Physical - improving muscle tone, range of motion, palmer and pincher grasp, and crossing midline.